Biophilia means "an instinctive bond between human beings and other living systems." Our home is Harlem, New York City.
What sets Biophilia Records apart from other traditional music labels is that in addition to creating meaningful and imaginative music, our artists are united by a common interest in having a positive impact on the environment and our communities. Our artists collaborate with organizations that specialize in conservation, sustainability and outreach initiatives. We regularly volunteer hands-on in community events to help however we can. Our manifesto is:
I will be cognizant of my own resource consumption and environmental impacts. I will make efforts to limit them wherever possible, including:
• Energy: By turning off lights and other appliances when not in use or not necessary.
• Paper: By choosing paperless options when they exist and printing double-sided.
• Materials: By choosing and maintaining reusable alternatives over disposable products, such as water bottles, grocery or shopping bags, dish-ware, and utensils. By avoiding or refusing disposable products (whether plastic or paper) when offered to me by default, except in cases where safety and hygiene are of particular concern.
• Waste: When items cannot be reused and must be disposed, I will sort and separate all materials that are accepted for recycling according to local rules.
• Carbon-intensive activities: by walking, biking, using public transportation, or carpooling, and avoiding air travel when other options are feasible. By eating less meat, and wasting less food.
Founder and Director
Brubeck Institute - Stockon, California '03 • B.S. Manhattan School of Music - New York, NY '06 • M.S. Manhattan School of Music - New York, NY '09
Fabian Almazan is a pianist and composer from Havana, Cuba living in New York City. Inspired by E.O. Wilson's writing on biophilia and a passion for music, Fabian founded Biophilia Records in 2011 in an attempt to create a family of musicians that inspire audiences with their music and future generations with their actions.
Environmental Specialist and Sustainability Consultant
Columbia University M.S. in Sustainability Management - New York, NY '15 • Haverford College B.S. in Biology - Haverford, PA '09
Jessica Wu is the Environmental Specialist and Sustainability Consultant for Biophilia Records where she acts as liaison between Biophilia Artists and non-profit organizations to facilitate volunteering events. Ms. Wu has an M.S. in Sustainability Management from Columbia University and is currently a singer in the renowned Cantori New York choir.